Thursday, January 13, 2011

learning

Last night, Fletcher amazed himself. It was one of the best moments I've ever had.

It wasn't all that amazing by itself. Fletcher was about to get into his pajamas, so I had him sitting up in the Pack 'n Play while I covered his eczema spots with lotion. He was very intent on biting down on the playpen, so he grabbed onto the side with both hands.

Then he pulled himself up on his knees, and his face absolutely beamed. He breathed in sharply, a smile blooming across his round face, his eyes lighting up with pleasure. He laughed, and he did it over and over again.

I tried to catch it on video, but as usual I was a bit late. At the very end of this little clip, he finally knelt again for a second and then flopped backward:



He's constantly learning. I was told recently that the reason he's having such a hard time going to sleep when he's so obviously tired is because there's so much to see, do, and learn, and he doesn't want to close his eyes.

He can army crawl the length of a room now. He knows how to get his legs out of the way when he's rolling around furniture. He has a special affinity for remotes and cords, and is strong enough to yank a whole laptop off a table just by grabbing a cord. No matter what he grabs, it takes 0.5 seconds to reach his mouth.

He absolutely hates when we try to wipe clean or put lotion on his face. He wiggles widely during diaper changes. He loves drawstrings, especially on sweatshirts, more than anything else in the world. Necklaces and glasses are up there, though. Looking in the mirror will often bring smiles, as will surprising him (peek-a-boo!) and tickling his sides.

He's more aware than he's ever been. He sees everything that his eyes had once coasted over. Watching him soak up every detail reminds me to stop, slow down, and look. There's a lot of world to see.

smiles within the house of the sick


big eyes. yummy teether.


ready to eat


are those cheeks filling out?


best dad and sock-face


when will this cold be over?


Moon River, Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)
Moon River, wider than a mile,
I'm crossing you in style some day.
Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker,
wherever you're going I'm going your way.
Two drifters off to see the world.
There's such a lot of world to see.
We're after the same rainbow's end -
waiting 'round the bend,
my huckleberry friend, Moon River and me.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to say that I happened to read your comment on www.dooce.com's post about the band "The Quiet" on how you wish you could be a stay-at-home mom more than anything and you said exactly what I feel every day. I'm right there with you. In a time where people are losing their jobs/homes, I have to tell myself to be grateful that I have job that allows us to keep our house, but I leave my heart in the small hands of a 21 month old son every morning when I go to work. Sometimes I secretly wish I could lose my job (how awful is that). Anyway, ALL of my friends are stay-at-home moms and can't understand where I'm coming from (some of the friendship have even faded as a result), so when I hear someone who is in my same boat, it helps. We "full-time working, stay-at-home-moms-in-our-hearts" have to stick together. So, thanks.

    ReplyDelete