Wednesday, November 18, 2009

12w 2d non-instinct

The negative side effects are becoming more predictable. I will get so lightheaded while getting ready in the morning that I have to grip the bathroom sink and wait for my eyesight to return. I will feel like I need to throw up after eating anything larger than a snack. My brain will completely shut down and decide it's time to go to sleep around 2:30 every afternoon.

So that's my day, every day. It's better than being constantly lightheaded, nauseated, and/or fatigued, so I'm not complaining. Too much.

When Andy took the 12-week baby bump picture, he said, "This is weird. You look like you have an alien." Maybe we'll have to christen the baby "Ripley."

Loose-fitting clothing is a huge relief. I even went back and bought the jeans with the big elastic top, even though I won't get away with wearing them out anywhere yet, because it would be a dead giveaway.

The whole secret-keeping thing is starting to get really old. Can we just spread the news already? Thirteen days until the heartbeat appointment. Eight weeks until we find out the gender. Andy has asked me what I think, but I have absolutely no instincts about whether it's a boy or a girl. I think his cousin knew hers was a boy before the ultrasound. Is it normal to have that instinct? Is it accurate?

From "Gold Dust" by Tori Amos:
Letting names hang in the air
What color hair
Autumn knowingly stared
And the day that she came
Freezing that frame...
How did it go so fast
You'll say as we are looking back
And then we'll understand
We held gold dust in our hands


3 comments:

  1. Fear not. I thought for certain Felicity was going to be a boy. Even after we found out she was a girl, I kept having these dreams where I'd give birth and she was actually a boy. With Clarissa I had no idea. I was too busy puking.

    Don't worry - the better type of maternal instinct most certainly kicks in - the kind where you just know that little fever is more than just a little fever, or that can interpret your baby's various cries, or that knows when the 2 year old is up to no good, even though they're in the other room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless, of course, you're my father, who correctly predicted the gender of both myself and my sister and all of his 5 grandchildren. Some people have the gift, some people don't.

    ReplyDelete