Tuesday, July 13, 2010

7w 2d friend

Life after baby.

I used to think about earlier times in my life, like high school, and wish I could go back for a short while just to enjoy it again, and remember the feeling of what life was like then. No job, no mortgage. Going to class. Living in the dorm with my roommates. Every meal prepared for me in the cafeteria.

Now that Fletcher exists, the part of my life where he didn't exist feels lightweight, like those years and experiences just don't have the substance they once did. They're becoming opaque.

Growing up, Fletch won't have experienced life without Andy and me, and his day-to-day routine will seem like the only way. It's interesting being a parent and having the perspective of life before and life after.

Howie, the husband of one of Andy's step-sisters and father of two, said to me, "You couldn't have imagined what life would be like with the baby, but now you would never go back, right?" Of course he's right.



When my lunch hour was over and I needed to leave home to return to work, Fletch was almost asleep on top of a blanket on the living room floor, and Andy was sleeping on the couch. I woke Andy up to tell him I was leaving, and he wondered if he and Fletch needed to relocate back to the (closed) bedroom. I said I wasn't too worried. I should've known better.

When Andy woke up, he found Fletcher still sleeping on the floor, and Walker Kitty Ranger snuggled right up against him. And this was a day after Andy left Fletch unattended for a couple short minutes and returned to find his hair all wet, courtesy of a kitty bath. It looks like Walker is going to be baby's best friend.

Well, in an effort to make being separated from Fletcher a little easier, I've begun a Fletcher YouTube channel. The videos aren't exciting, but they help me. If anyone wants to watch the videos, or has a YouTube account and wants to "subscribe" to his videos, just go to www.youtube.com/MommyLindsayDawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment