Wednesday, March 17, 2010

29w 2d role models

Remember 9 weeks pregnant, when I felt like a whale?


Fast forward to 29 weeks pregnant. Let me introduce you to the mammoth:


Baby Update: The breastfeeding class was informative but dull, and I apologize again to Andy for making him go. As a dairy farmer's son, he couldn't help but make the comparison between his wife and a cow. "I don't care if they call it a breast pump," he says, "That's a milker." The doctor's appointment went well yesterday -- the heartbeat is good, my weight is good, and no call today means that the diabetes test was also probably good.

As for me, something has gone sour with my patience. Things that may be contributing to the new, irritable me:
  • The stranger who shall remain nameless who (not long ago) changed his cell phone number, so that I could end up with his old cell phone number and inherit the daily phone calls from the creditors who are hunting him
  • The return of the awful nausea (oh how I missed you)
  • Bone-deep exhaustion
  • The dry heat in my office
  • Waking up in the night from back pain, when sleep used to be my one reprieve
  • I'd include the rapid growth of the alien within -- how it's getting more and more uncomfortable with each squished breath I take -- but each kick/stab/jab/stretch is still too miraculous to me
Then I read over that list and realize that I sound like a big, ungrateful whiner, and feel even worse.

This past week, to put it gently, insult has been laid on a mass scale against women who blog about parenthood. I don't actually consider myself among them, since I don't profit from any of this and don't have what you'd call a following, but it doesn't do much for my confidence to know that pretty much every group I do belong to (women, wives, working mothers-to-be, and so-called mommy-bloggers) is under attack. I guess it's nothing new, and not what it may have been once.

So an early Mother's Day "Thank You" goes out to my mothers and grandmothers, you generations before me paving the way for strong women who, despite being told now that they are whiners (because they struggle) and bad mothers (because they work and blog), nevertheless continue to write and work and parent and grieve and love and recognize their flaws publicly, all without ever giving in to the cruelty that would drag them down.

Bravo to:
My own little response to that there sophisticated newspaper: Bloggers are masquerading if they make ad revenue? I will corrupt what a blog should be if I use the things I know about SEO, SEM, branding, keywords, and social media to gain followers, rather than continuing to blog quietly? Thanks for taking us back to the "Quiet Revolution" of the 70s and making bloggers feel guilty, not just for providing for their families, but for being individuals as well as mothers.

The world is full of role models, if you've been raised to recognize them.

No comments:

Post a Comment