Monday, January 4, 2010

19 weeks reality

Back to reality. How depressing it is when Christmas is over. My brother has flown back to Hawaii. I'm back at work, where I will no longer be able to take a nap whenever I get tired.

Feeling the baby move is still sort of rare, but I especially felt it squirming around some when I lay on my stomach last night, something I was told it was okay to do all through pregnancy, as weird as that seems.

Andy is starting to surprise me. I think maybe it's sinking in, or he's excited to find out if it's a boy or girl in nine days' time. But whenever I get down about Christmas being over, he keeps reminding me in his upbeat way -- it's just another day closer to the baby. What a wonderful thought, and how great to hear it from him. He's also really trying to figure out what to do job- and school-wise before or just after baby's arrival.

There are a lot of things left to figure out before June, which makes me nervous. I wish I could fully over-prepare as soon as possible.

Baby update:
It is about 8.5 ounces and six inches from head to butt. Arms and legs are in the correct proportion to the body, and all the senses are developing. Some research suggests that the baby may be able to hear me now.

Symptoms:
  • Fatigue. Where's this second trimester surge of energy I was promised?
  • Hunger. Hmm.
  • About nine extra pounds.
  • Round ligament pain. Wow, it worried me at first. Every now and then when I move, I'll get a bad stabbing pain in my abdomen. This will probably continue, as I'm expected to grow even faster in the weeks to come.
  • Some redness to my skin... but luckily no noticeable spots on my face and no linea nigra yet.
  • Different center of balance. Andy will tell me to stand up straight, but I think if I do I will fall over...
Almost halfway there! If only I were Bella Swan, I'd only be pregnant for a month. On that theme, here's "Flightless Bird, American Mouth" by Iron & Wine, from the Twilight soundtrack.
Have I found you
Flightless bird, grounded, bleeding
Or lost you, American mouth
Big pill stuck going down

No comments:

Post a Comment