Wednesday, September 30, 2009

5w 5d dad

Why pregnant women are not sane:
  • A Dove commercial shouldn't make you cry
  • A Monsters vs. Aliens DVD commercial immediately following a Dove commercial shouldn't make you burst out laughing
  • Despite the title of the game, you shouldn't get so angry playing "Outburst" that you yell at your husband
  • Sane people don't go to the bathroom every half hour
  • A diet should not consist mainly of prenatal vitamins, fiber supplements, vanilla wafers, pickles, cheese, chocolate, Goldfish crackers, and lemonade
  • Drooling
  • Sitting in your office at 3:00 p.m., it shouldn't require every scrap of willpower to keep your head off your keyboard
On a different topic, I'm wondering a lot today about God's plans and his timing. It would seem I am not the only one in my family feeling sick and getting probed by doctors. My dad has been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

A world without my Dad would be very empty, and so wrong. That world wouldn't make sense. That life wouldn't be anything like this life. It's like the moon without the sun. Although the cancer has been caught early and he's young and healthy and yada yada, it's only natural for my pessimism to surface and take me traveling down the road of worst case scenario. What if my baby never gets to know what an incredible man it has for a grandfather?

It's foolish to ask "Why, God?" I know that. We don't know his plans, etc. Whether it's a difficult journey ahead for my dad or a relatively easy (painless?) one, this is a burden he doesn't need or deserve, in my opinion. But the world has already begun feeling cold, off-balance, wrong.

From "The One" by Shakira. For my dad.
In a world full of strangers
You're the one I know.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV2E55C_R3g

No comments:

Post a Comment